Jesus went to Nazareth, where He had been brought up on Saturday came as usual in the synagogue and stood up to read. He presented the book of Isaiah and, opening it, found the passage where it was written:
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed by the anointing. Sent me to bring good news to the poor, to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord. ”
Jesus closed the book, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. Everyone in the synagogue had their eyes fixed on him. He said to them: “This day is fulfilled this scripture passage you have just heard.”
All spoke in favor of it and were full of admiration for the gracious words that came from his mouth. They said, “Is not this Joseph’s son?”. But he answered them, “Doubtless you will quote me the saying: ‘Physician, heal yourself.’ Make also here in your country, we heard everything that happened in Capernaum.” Then he added: “I assure you, no prophet is accepted in his own land. I assure you that there were many widows in Israel in Elijah’s time, when for three years and six months there was no rain from heaven and famine struck all country. however, none of them was Elias sent, but to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. were also many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet, but none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian. ” At these words, all who were in the synagogue were furious and got up, drove him out of town, up a steep hill on which the city stood, intending to thrust him down. But Jesus, through the midst of them, went his way.
He went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught on Saturdays. And all were amazed at his teaching, because he spoke with authority. (Luke 4: 16-32)
1. In these final days of the Easter season, just before the coming of the Holy Spirit, we gather to return to the sources of the Argentine May. We return to the historic core of our beginning, not to exercise formal nostalgia footprint but seeking hope. We remember the road traveled to the future to open spaces. As our faith teaches us: the memory of the fullness is possible to envision new ways. Foundational step of God and his saving grace forceful in our history may restart, inspired, strengthened, projected. On the eve of Pentecost, while the Spirit gathers believers beaten today, no less than the apostles fragile shaken and then to restart. The fragility of the boat should not cause fear or prejudices, the vast sea of life and history is smoothed by the wind, the breath of God that from day drives us and leads. Some real, mysterious and unwavering confidence took us Argentines to meet together, many times throughout our history, in May this plot, as in that year of 1810, looking for the wind to lead us in the right direction.
2. Also those faithful who heard Jesus in his hometown Nazareth were hopeful. There was respect and admiration for the authority emanating from his person and his words seemed to move fresh start in the soul of the people. The proposal of the young Rabbi was something long overdue: “good news to the poor”, a new way of “seeing” the life and the long-awaited freedom. That good news of Jesus is inclusive. A freeing them healthy and free commends them and heal others. Talking to his people, Jesus himself feels confirmation that the prophetic words are true at the same time when pronounced. Illuminated and anointed, moved by the Spirit speaks. The Gospel story shows us the clear: there was the Spirit of God a new time, a wind that’s for sure. And people felt the same: there were gestures of applause and admiration.
However, the end of the story perplexing. Someone slipped subtly “But is not this the son of Joseph” the carpenter? and then changed the mood of the bystanders pushed him out and took him to a ravine in an attempt to thrust him down or stoning. But “Jesus went through the midst of them and went on his way,” went to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, to preach again outdoors, among the common people of the faithful. What at first seemed the event of a large boat thrown into the seas of the conquest of freedom, becomes a humble fetch the boat of Simon, the fisherman of the Lake of Gennesaret: Lord sneaks and lost as one among the crowd. Even acts like a rebel willing to put the stones chest.
3. Jesus, faithful to the prophetic style that came their way among men, made symbolic gestures, what does this leave Nazareth “homeland”? I think I see here a strong protest against those who feel so included that exclude others. So you believe clairvoyants have become blind, as are self-sufficient in the administration of the law that have become wicked.
So Jesus turns away and choose the narrow path, going forward between his people, “the dark path” (which speak Fray Luis de Leon), which is just the way of the poor of the poor of any poverty that means stripping the soul and at the same time, trust and commitment to others and to God. Indeed, those who suffer the spoiling of their goods, their health, irreparable loss, securities and ego-in this poverty-left driving experience the wisdom of the luminous, free love, solidarity and disinterested in the other, knows something or a lot of the good news.
The Argentines have suffered all these poverty, the living and witnessing some from years and decades. Well, today as then, Jesus is slipped between the smallest and poorest of our people.
But, why let those exalted alone with their stones and their desire desbarrancar everything that does not agree with your ideas? What prevents these walk this path of listening to the Good News? Perhaps the unspoken conflict in their lives, between wisdom and enlightenment. It is wise where life abounds aging of prudence, the ability of understanding, a sense of belonging. Illustrated, however, can run the risk of being soaking ideologies of ideas-no prejudices, facciosidad. The impatience of the enlightened elites do not understand the laborious and daily walk of a people, or understand the message of the wise. And at that time had also shown that isolated elites their awareness of the progress of his people, who negotiated their membership and their faith, were also the lefts and rights unbelieving atheist abroqueladas their marginal assurances beyond all popular feeling. Something of that emotional closeness of these expectations heaped felt Jesus as the true blindness of soul. This attitude seems to evoke the histrionic claims, inmediatistas; these reactions and extreme postures or surface where we often fall.
4. Not infrequently, the world looks shocked a country like ours, full of possibilities, which is lost in postures and emerging crises and does not delve into their grooves social, cultural and spiritual, not trying to understand the causes, which ignores the future. Given this situation we may ask for light on the second prophetic promise: he came to give sight to the blind, and to consider the fact of our blindness.
Admit it. We need the Lord enlighten us because so often seem blind and live encandilamientos that cloud and obscure ephemeral. It’s like fad that wants nothing to do with the glow that comes from quiet to think and take stock of our successes and mistakes. We do not seek the gentle light that comes from the truth, no waiting laborious bet, caring and maintains oil lamp burning.
The fruit is blindness vain delusion. All so excited prophetic and messianic force to free us, but when the path of true freedom begins with the acceptance of our pettiness and our painful truths, we covered our eyes and fill our hands with stones intolerant. We are ready for intolerance. We are stuck in our discourses and counter-discourses, ready to accuse others, rather than to review the same. Fear is blind vindicator and neglect often leads to the distinct, complementary not see it, to ridicule and censure those who think differently, which is a new form of pressure and achieve power. Not recognizing the virtues and greatness of others, for example, reducing them to the vulgar, is a common strategy of cultural mediocrity of our times. They do not stick! Do not challenge us … to see if we still have to go out of our slumber, from our comfortable peace of the graveyard! To think that he is the son of Joseph!, Said …, advance word of what would happen in practice, and Jesus and received the first piedrazo our vulgarity.
Slander and gossip, transgression much propaganda, denying boundaries, bastardize or eliminate institutions are part of a long list of stratagems with which conceals and protects mediocrity, willing to blindly desbarrancar everything that threatens . It is the time of “weak thought”. And if a word looks wise, ie someone who embodies the challenge of sublimity even at the cost of not being able to meet many of our desires, then our mediocrity is not up to thrust him down. Despeñados die heroes, great men, artists, scientists, or just anyone who thinks beyond the dominant discourse unconscious. Discovered but not later. Despise the “carpenter’s son” … But no qualms about putting in the spotlight fatuous light of any perversion, scrubbed day and night for the image and the wealth of information, a rapture of voiyeurismo where everything is permitted, where the enjoyment marketer of the morbid sense seems to catch and plunges into nothingness. Prohibited think and create. Prohibited the bravery, heroism and holiness. For these blind also are well regarded as suggestive and subtle harmony of beauty itself, because they involve modest and humble work of talent.
5. The vitality and creativity of a people, and of every human being, and only occurs after you can see a long way to limitations of attempts and failures, crisis and reconstruction … And the greatest sin of all cultivators of Blindness is a vacuum producing identity, that terrible dissatisfaction that we projected and do not allow us to feel comfortable in our own homeland. It strips away the deep identitativo proposes an identity “artificial”, “cardboard”, makeup, props. It is the contrast between what identitativo of a people and that other imported identity, built to use and convenience of private sectors. Jesus, leaving the blind, choose the path that leads humble faithful people, which simply admires to that doctrine which gives sight to the blind who want to see.
6. What do we see when we can open our eyes? We see God slipped in among his people, walking with his people.
We see a Jesus with his feet on the land, growing good hearts as Sower (and growing is the root of culture), elaborating the true food of the spirit, that which builds the communion between the people of the Nation. This is the spiritual food, the bread, party, lets see, the taste is accompanying the daily suffering, without intending to profit or revenue, which embraces all those who do not even recognize it.
He who, with his mercy, takes over miseries and evils, without flattery or demagogic evidence without granting fashions and customs.
It is wisdom: the bread that opens our eyes and blindness prevents us from mediocrity, proposing a life that tends towards the best and not ethics ethicism exquisite minimalism or laboratory, while comprising Wisdom is deeply and forgiving.
It’s the bread that makes us feel the support that gives wisdom to tour and record touching the concrete human suffering, without mediation or ideological or evasive interpretations made to the public.
And because it is given as Pan, is Wisdom that his testimony and his word known to the soul of a people grows when working spirit deep, sensitive and creative. That’s his tireless educational challenge away from pure information or technocratic encyclopedist, even further from subordination to power systems. Because its true power is the infinite love of God and confident, that is not tied to race or cultural forms or systems, but gives meaning and ultimate meaning: help be and enjoy the joy of being, which calls for renunciation and resists being locked in its horizons narrow.
7. The blindness of the soul keeps us from being free. In the Gospel story of today, many of those who yearned for freedom, to raise their stones intolerant, showed the same ruthlessness that the invading empire. They wanted to get rid of the enemy outside without accepting the enemy within. And we know that copy the hatred and violence of the tyrant and the murderer is the best way to be his heir. So when Jesus proposed, according to Isaiah, the release from captivity and oppression, we can ask: what what captivity and oppression? And answer: first of ourselves: our disorientation and immaturity, to demand the release of external oppression. If the strings were of iron, if the presence of foreign armies were obvious, it would also be the need for freedom. But when the captivity comes from our bleeding wounds and infighting, ambition compulsive power of compromise absorbing institutions, then we are captives of our own. A captive is expressed, among other things, on the dynamics of exclusion. Not only exclusion is done through unjust structures, but also to empower us, that other form of exclusion through attitudes: indifference, intolerance, extreme individualism, sectarianism. We exclude the identity and the mask were captives, we exclude resquebrajamos identity and belonging … because “identified” means “belonging”. Only from belonging to a people can understand the deep message of your story, your identity traits. Any other movement outside is nothing but a chain link in any case there is a change of masters, but the status is the same.
8. The proposal is to free ourselves from our mediocrity, that mediocrity is the best drug to enslave people. No need armies oppressors. To paraphrase our national poem can say that a people divided and disoriented already mastered.
A confused mediocrizada media culture keeps us in the perplexity of chaos and anomie, the permanent internal confrontation and “internal” distracted by the spectacular news to not see our inability face everyday problems. It is the world of false models and scripts. The more subtle oppression is oppression then lies and concealment, … yes, a lot of information-based, opaque information and, as such, misleading.
Interestingly we have more information than ever and yet we do not know what happens. Clipped, distorted, reinterpreted, the global information empacha overflowing soul with data and images, but there is no depth in the know. Confused with the morbid realism manipulative, invasive, for which no one is prepared but in the paralyzing perplexity, get advertising revenues. Leave stark images without hope.
9. But thank God, our people also know the daily grind humble way, it’s many years of hidden life. The betting the good and hold without being sure of the outcome. Meet the painful silence and peaceful but-at once-rebellious years of misunderstandings, false promises, predatory violence and injustice. However, facing daily tasks with a lot of wear and a trail of social marginalization. Every year renews its confident expectation pilgrim marching so many places where God and his mother comforting hope for dialogue, empowering.
These people do not believe in lying and mediocre stratagems. He hopes but left excite with dark magic solutions born compromises and pressures of power. Do not confuse the speeches, is getting tired of the narcosis of vertigo, consumerism, exhibitionism and strident ads. To their collective consciousness-that which springs from the deep soul of our people, these things are just “piedrazos”. Our people know, has a soul, and that we can speak of the soul of a people, we can speak of a hermeneutic, a way of seeing reality, of consciousness. Argentine warn our people a strong sense of their dignity. It is a historical consciousness that has shaped in significant milestones. Our people know that the only way out is the way silent, but steady and firm. The project clear, predictable, which require continuity and commitment of all actors of society and all Argentines. Our people want to live and make the call of Christ walking among us, encouraging our hearts, one by one, reviving the reserves of our cultural memory. Our people know and want because the Father loves creating and community, as they did and do our aborigines, for throws and committed to its ideals, as we bequeathed the Spanish who settled our land, for he is humble, pious and festive as our Creole, for he is industrious and untiring as our older immigrants.
10. We saw the Lord proclaiming his message in the midst of his people. We observe how enlightened elites patient can not tolerate daily journey of the humble and simple and brought their exquisite hysteria, try desbarrancar and stone. Note the values of a people God put in his humble path. We drove our journey through history as a people and see our contradictions. We note the need to be healed of our blindness and freed from captivity and oppression. The appeal wisdom that we can do today, inspired by the Gospel is patently clear: any profound transformation that moves toward serenity of spirit, to coexistence and towards greater dignity and harmony in our country can only be achieved from our roots, appealing to the conscience and grieves looking, enjoying and agrees with the other, who accepts the order peacemaker of just law and collective memory of the achievements that are forming our being common. Appealing to the conscience that is not lost on the blindness of the secondary contradictions, but concentrates on the major challenges that also commits its resources to make this a priority for its educational project, for all generations and limitless.
The Word, as history leaves us where espejarnos code. But in addition, there are also mirages. Today as always we choose Argentines. Failure to do so is already an option, but tragic. Or choose the mirage of accession to mediocrity blinds and enslaves us and we look into the mirror of our history, assuming also all its darkness and negative values, and adhere to the greatness of heart of those who left everything for their country, without seeing the results of those who transited and transiting the humble way of our people, in the footsteps of Jesus that happens in the middle of the proud, the left baffled in their own contradictions and find the path that exalts the humble, road leading to the cross, which is crucified our people, but that is the way of certain hope of resurrection hope of still no power or ideology has been stripped.
Buenos Aires, May 25, 2004.
Card. Jorge Mario Bergoglio s.j